Burning ISOs

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 17:06:37 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 00:29, Fulko Hew wrote:
> Patrick Barnes wrote:
> >I'm surprised that nobody on this thread has mentioned the two most
> > valuable tips when having problems with CD-burning quality:
> >
> > * Burn at low speeds.  8x is usually good, 4x is failsafe.
>
> I've heard from the experts that burning at a slower speed is not
> neccessarily going to make the burn more likely to succeed.  As a
> matter of fact, some media may actually be worse at slower than rated
> speed.

Quoting from the link below:

" The Media ID is the location of information about the disc. Much like the
disc maker's name in the ID code, the write speed can be faked. The Write
Strategy is the maximum speed the disc was manufactured to use. Burning
faster will often lead to errors. Unfortunately, most DVD recording drives
read the Media ID for determining write speed allowed by the burning
software. Always check the WRITE STRATEGY to ensure the Media ID is not
forged or read incorrectly by the firmware. Both official and hacked
firmwares are known to allow improper burning speeds on certain discs. Many
3RD CLASS and 4TH CLASS quality discs are guilty of placing media ID speeds
on discs with slower write strategies."

That probably explains why my strategy of routinely downgrading burn speeds
has paid off.

> Having said that... I've had a bit of better success when burning at
> slower than rated speeds.
>
> > * Get quality media.  Nothing results in more coasters than poor-quality
> >media.

As mentioned by Dariusz J. Garbowski there is very useful information on
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Anne