Scanning with Epson

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 26 17:49:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 16:07 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> Just tried plugging my scanner into the fc5t3 machine. Can't get it to do a
> thing.
>
> The scanner is an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo, connected to USB.
>
> There is no scanner entry in the graphics menu, and when I run command xsane
> nothing happens.
>
> I also installed iscan, which says "Could not send command to scanner. Check
> the scanner's status"
>
> The scanner appears in /dev/ as scanner-usbdev1.x
>
> Any ideas for me to try?

You can try as root:
[root at fc5t3 ~]# sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0119 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:007:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

If it gives you the usb device numbers for your system as above, then

[root at fc5t3 ~]# ls -l /proc/bus/usb/007/002
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 50 Feb 25 09:04 /proc/bus/usb/007/002

where you replace the /007/002 with the numbers sane-find-scanner
provided.

If the permissions are not as above, then

[root at fc5t3 ~]# chmod a+w /proc/bus/usb/007/002

for your particular device numbers.

If you are lucky, the scanner will now work.  If it doesn't, please file
a bug report.  You can see my bug report for my Epson Perfecition 4490
Photo scanner at bugzilla #182210.  My problem may be because this is a
newly supported scanner, but if you find the same thing happening, the
bug will get fixed faster if you add your input or file an additional
report.

Thanks.  Good Luck.

Gerry