Shutdown does not power off system

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 27 03:44:39 UTC 2006

Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> Is it a bug(let).
>
> I installed Core5 Test3 with most defaults, but all packages.  The
> kernal is not the normal one, as others have attested. However, when I
> initiate a shutdown, the software proceeds to shutdown, with the final
> console message to power off.
>
> With previous versions of Core, power off of the pc did occur.  In fact,
> I make use of this working power off to issue the shutdown command in
> the crontab.
>
> Did I miss a configurable parameter?
>
> Leslie in  Montreal

I add acpi=on in the kernel argument line to be safe in case acpi is
ever disabled in the kernel. I believe there are similar problems for
apm only computers needing apm specific lines in the boot parameters.

Also, there might be a kernel bug that hits your hardware and its
ability to poweroff successfully. This problem effected a lot of people
during previous test phases and even within the next release.

Search for bugs related to poweroff in bugzilla. There should be quite a
few old entries and a bit for current release and rawhide.

Jim

--
Well fix that in the next (upgrade, update, patch release, service pack).