SATA question

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 13:35:21 UTC 2006

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> Why are my cache reads so much slower than yours (by a factor of 2)?

Either something is making you use SATA I, instead of SATA II, but your
dmesg showed 3Gb/s, or perhaps that you have 8MB cache and I have 16MB
makes a difference.

> A friend of mine has SATA I, with 1800 MB/s cached reads, which is also
> much better.

I don't see how he can, SATA I = 1.5Gb/s = 1500Mb/s  = 150MB/s (after
allowing for 8b/10b encoding)

Now I'm scratching my head too, even with SATA II = 3Gb/s = 3000Mb/s =
300MB/s how can hdparm -T show me 2229MB/sec? I though hdparm -T didn't
test o/s memory caching, just drive caching?