SATA question

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 1 14:04:14 UTC 2006

> And the difference in your 2228MB/s, my 4456MB/s and your friends
> 1800MB/s are down to motherboard/cpu/memory, mine is P4 630 with dual
> DDR2 667MHz
I thought you got 2228MB/s ?

Anyway, let's summarize.

Me: 400Mhz single-channel Kingston 1GB, Athlon64 3700+ 1MB L2, hdparm:
1200 MB/s
Friend: 3200 Corsair dual-channel, hdparm: 1800 MB/s
you: p4 630 dual ddr2 667Mhz,  hdparm: <insert high # here>
===

Hmm... allright. I guess dual channel helps.

It no longer seems like an intelligent idea to remove my PATA drive from
the LVM group for reasons of speed, it has exactly the same performance
as the other one, and I get extra 80G (and not having to deal with the
rescue CD to shrink partitions - which btw doesn't work at the moment)