Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Rowan Kerr rowan at stasis.org
Wed Feb 1 15:12:16 UTC 2006

Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> When I type "ooffice file.odt &" it doesn't mean I want to stop all work
> on anything else until openoffice gets around to talking to me.  if I
> type "gthumb image.jpg &" it means I want to see the image, but I don't
> necessarily want to type at it.  I have to say that the new focus
> behavior has improved my life considerably.  I hope it doesn't go away.

I like the general behaviour and haven't noticed the Metacity
implementation of it getting in my way yet. Apple has implemented this
in OS X's WM and it's a huge relief to not have to worry about new
applications jumping in front of what you are currently working on.

Some applications don't seem to play nicely in OS X though, like
Firefox.. so I don't know exactly what Apple's done but a quick study of
the OS X behaviour should probably be done to see what their compromises
are and apply that knowledge to Metacity.

-Rowan