Latest Dovecot in 20060201 breaks imap

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Feb 1 15:31:10 UTC 2006

On 02/02/2006, at 2:20 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

> Steven Haigh wrote:
>
>> Do we know exactly what changed in this update?
>
> Mark McLoughlin pointed out this ...
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/UpgradingDovecot

I don't believe this is the case - as I wasn't using a verion 0.99
config to start with. As that site states, I tried the following:

# grep -v '^ *#' /etc/dovecot.conf|grep -v ^$|less
protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
listen = *
ssl_listen = *
ssl_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
mbox_read_locks = fcntl
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
protocol imap {
}

protocol pop3 {

}
auth default {
   mechanisms = plain
   passdb pam {
   }
   userdb passwd {
   }
   user = root
}

It seems to be something between the versions that makes some mail
clients not like the IMAP login banner and stops the client from
authing.

When running the Connection Doctor from within Mail, it states
"Trying to log into this IMAP account failed. Please make sure the
username and password are correct". During this test, the maillog
just shows:

Feb  2 02:30:46 zeus dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login:
rip=203.56.246.84, lip=203.56.246.81

I know the username and password are correct - as all I need to
change is the Use SSL option and I can then login to the mailbox in
question.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au