Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Wed Feb 1 18:24:25 UTC 2006

Dave Atkins <thedave at ix.netcom.com> on  02/01/2006 12:48 PM responded with:

> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 21:09 -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> . . .
> >
> > Again, I think Fedora should reject this change to Metacity.
> > I know that Redhat maintains custom kernel patches.  Can we
> > have a Metacity that doesn't implement this nutty window management?
> >
> > Does Fedora Core have any influence over the development decisions
> > of the Metacity project?  Are we simply at the mercy of their whims?
>
> If it's down to voting for one or the other, I can't stand applications
> that steal the focus or the foreground.

I agree with that statement.  Applications that are already running
shouldn't steal focus,  However the first window an application creates
should _always_ be on top.

I really don't understand why you would want to start an application,
and yet have its window buried underneath everything else.
After all, the reason you executed it, was to use it.

For the last 20 years the convention has been that when an
application is executed, its window appears on the top of
the stack.  This shouldn't change.

And if you started an app to use it later, then its your responsibility
to push it down the stack wherever _you_ want.

X applications by definition have a '-iconify' option to start the
app in an iconic state.  Unfortunately there isn't a pre-defined
and standard option called '-below' to start the app, and have its
window below all the others.

And finally, to have special code in a terminal emulator that is trying
to second guess what to do based on the timing of typing is ridiculous.

>  Try using internet explorer
> while working in word, and see how distracting it is.

I'm not to sure I understand what your compalining about.
When I use 'word' its on top, and has focus, any painting IE does,
or any other app for that matter, happens underneath.  (BTW I always
use overlapping windows, not full screen windows.)

> I have really become accustomed to indicating with my mouse onto which
> window I want in front, and into which window I'd like to type.

Agreed, but thats once everything has started.

... snip ...

Hopefully, this is 'start under' broken behavious a only a gnome thing,
and KDE doesn't turn its back on 20 years of standards