Latets yum thoroughly hosed?!

George R Goffe grgoffe at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 07:52:04 UTC 2006

Howdy,

My two cents.

I'm having the same yum problem that everyone is/was having. I have
run these commands:

rpm -e sqlite-devel-3.3.3-1.i386 \ rpm-devel-4.4.2-13.i386
net-snmp-devel-5.3-3.i386

and then this one:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage sqlite-3.3.2-1.i386.rpm

All appears to be cool now except that libneon is causing(?) a
missing dependency:

Error: Missing Dependency: libneon.so.24 is needed by package kdesvn
Error: Missing Dependency: libneon.so.24 is needed by package
openoffice.org-core

Not provided by any rpm?

The question about what's killing the yum process might be answered
by the presence of a "new" (new to the later 2.4 kernels anyway)
kernel option (I forget the exact terminology) "oom killer?". I
think it's either this "feature" (that made it into the 2.6 kernels
as a permanent fixture) or the system just running out of memory and
killing the process as part of a recovery. I let my system run for a
while (completely disabled apparently) when the "killed" message
appeared. On subsequent attempts to use yum I watched xosview and it
showed a steady increas in paging and swap and memory usage which
you might expect given the previous reports. I have a "strace -xvf
yum update" output file that shows what's happening. Of course you
have to have strace installed, apparently it does NOT come with a
"default" system install, whatever that is. Yum(?) or someone is
looping on a brk system call. I haven't analyzed the trace yet.

Regards,

George...

p.s., This group is GREAT!

=====
"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so." Will Rogers