gnome is dead (kind of) since 2/1/2006 updates

Brian Millett bmillett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:28:28 UTC 2006

I need some good advice on how to debug this problem.
I have yum updated rawhide today (2/2/2006) on a x86 toshiba laptop and I
still have a kind of broken gnome that broke 2/1/2006.

What I mean is that as my current user, I try to startx from runlevel 3 and
it goes for a while and then dies and I am back at the command prompt.  I
can add a new user and login as that user and can startx just fine as a new
virgin user.  But from my old user, gnome will not start.

I do not have any error messages in /var/log/messages nor
/var/log/Xorg.0.log nor any where else that I can think of.

How do I debug this?  Can X be started in a verbose debug mode?

I'd like to file a bugzilla, but on what?  System is hosed is not a menu
item, nor very helpful.

Thanks.