Anyone been trying suspend on recent kernels?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 03:33:33 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> David Timms wrote:
>>
>>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you happen to know if there is a GUI option to control what the
>>> lid switch does (ie just backlight off would be better for me!) ?
>>>
>> If you right click the power manager applet, there are three choices
>> for behavior to set for closing the lid. The choices are under the
>> actions tab. I just set mine to do nothing. The other choices are
>> hibernate or suspend. Suspend was chosen by default.
>>
>> Jim
>
> OK, thanks, I hadn't tried right clicking the power status icon; I also
> found access to the preferences in  System|Preferences|More
> Preferences|Power Management.

Having different ways to access these features are nice to have. I
believe you do not need the applet displayed and the above method would
be needed to change settings. Thanks for pointing out this access method.

> To get extra entries in these dialogs, I guess it would be best to
> submit enh requests at gnome-power.sourceforge.net, rather than
> buzilla.redhat ?
> DaveT.

I tried closing the  lid with the "do nothing" choice and my backlight
turned off and the computer still stayed on.
Like you say, filing an RFE upstream would probably be best. But if the
default is "do nothing" upstream, it would be better for a
bugzilla.redhat entry. I would prefer the lid to do nothing by default
to prevent accidents like you encountered and I encountered.
Of course this suspend working with the lid shut would be great and I
might enjoy having a quicker way to bring my system back up or extend
the battery life for transport.
I will probably experiment with hybernate and suspend since they may
work at some point.

Jim