gnome via startx OK, gnome via gdm not.

Brian Millett bmillett at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:45:02 UTC 2006

I have been booting into runlevel 3 for quite a while.  After logging
in, I do a "startx" and enjoy the gnome desktop.  After the latest
rawhide updates, I decided to try/test the runlevel 5 and log in via
gdm.  I had several errors where gdm could not be launched and I saw
that the path it was trying was /usr/X11R6/bin/... , so I changed them
to /usr/bin/... When I did that, I got a nice gdm login screen.  Trying
to log in however gives me only a session of "twm".  It doesn't matter
if I try a kde session, gnome session, xfce4 session,etc.  All I get is
a twm session.

I think that I have too many *.rpmnew *.rpmsave config files laying
around and I probably should do a new install, but hey, how else can I
learn?

So my questions are what should I look at to see why I am only getting a
twm session?  Why isn't starting a session via the gdm log in screen the
same as doing startx?  What are the difference and how/what can I do to
monitor the process?

Thanks.
--
Brian Millett - [ Talia Winters, "A Spider in the Web"]
"Taro Isogi spent his life improving the lives of others. He built a