KDE update - no testing period?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Mon Feb 6 17:54:25 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> API or ABI stability in between updates is not generally guaranteed in
> Fedora. Any given release of any software including the kernel does
> not work in an ideal way for some users.
>
> Like I said in an earlier in the context of releases and updates in
> Fedora it means robustness and not stagnancy.

So, what's the point of a release, really?  Can you really call an
API/ABI/release "stagnant" when the next release is (generally) only 6
months away?  Why not take the debian methodology to the extreme and
just have a testing and core repository with no releases?   There's no
interest in getting or keeping any end users, right?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand the point
of the distro.  It sounds like everyone is saying that Fedora is a
concept car... looks pretty, sometimes runs, and not intended to be used
by anyone.  If that's the case, fine... I personally think the broad and
diverse community will deteriorate and disappear within a few years (how
often do you have to tell people to not use your distro before the start
listening), but that's the perogative of the steering committee.

I just think that if that's truly the goal, it should be more clearly
spelled out in the project description.  Don't try to pretend that
there's some balance between features and stability.  Call it "the
fastest changing linux distribution in the world" and be done with it.
Don't leave it to us to debate some contrived meaning of the word
"stable" on the mailing lists.

DC