/sys/bus/usb/devices vs. /proc/bus/usb/devices ....

Doug Fordham dfordham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 04:52:10 UTC 2006

Tom,

I am running VMWare WS Version 5.5.1 build 19175
When I insert the usb media, I get an audible sound, an icon is placed
on the desktop, and a folder is opened with flashing notification in the
Gnome taskbar at the bottom of the workspace. ( Not sure if this has any
relevance but, when I initially startup VMware, the usb hub is found by
Vmware and annotated as present.)

The reason I write this, is I am not sure I am tracking on the essence
of the problem -- probably just me as I am not the sharpest tool in the
shed ;o) Anyway, I have provided some directory listings below from my
system; is the consistent/inconsistent with your observations?

Thanks,

Doug
Without LEXAR Media inserted:
[root at localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/
001
[root at localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/001/
001
[root at localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/
devices  drivers
[root at localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/
1-0:1.0  usb1
[root at localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/
1-0:1.0              bMaxPacketSize0     driver        product
bcdDevice            bMaxPower           ep_00         serial
bConfigurationValue  bNumConfigurations  idProduct     speed
bDeviceClass         bNumInterfaces      idVendor      uevent
bDeviceProtocol      bus                 manufacturer  usb_device:usbdev1.1
bDeviceSubClass      configuration       maxchild      version
bmAttributes         devnum              power
[root at localhost doug]# ls /proc/bus/usb/ (note: nothing present here)
[root at localhost doug]#

With LEXAR Media inserted:
[root at localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/
001
[root at localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/001/
001  003
[root at localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/
devices  drivers
[root at localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/
1-0:1.0  1-1  1-1:1.0  usb1
[root at localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/
1-0:1.0              bmAttributes        devnum        power
1-1                  bMaxPacketSize0     driver        product
bcdDevice            bMaxPower           ep_00         serial
bConfigurationValue  bNumConfigurations  idProduct     speed
bDeviceClass         bNumInterfaces      idVendor      uevent
bDeviceProtocol      bus                 manufacturer  usb_device:usbdev1.1
bDeviceSubClass      configuration       maxchild      version
[root at localhost doug]# ls /proc/bus/usb/ (note: nothing here as above)
[root at localhost doug]#