Keyboard situation - Non-US users dead in water?

ÐÐ³Ð¾Ñ ÐилеÑÐ¸Ñ grejigl-gnomeprevod at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 7 15:13:07 UTC 2006

Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote: There are a number of interacting issues surrounding XKB at this point,
but the bottom line is that many (most? all?) users using non-US
keyboards are pretty much dead in the water right now.

Putting aside issues with libxklavier and keyboard options, the console
(non-X) keyboard maps, and the keyboard switching applet, it's simply
not possible to select certain keyboards which are in widespread use.

I would like to add here that options to switch keyboard on the fly with shortcut keys is a must.

What happened to me couple of times is that I use by default "us" keyboard, but every now and then I would send an email in Cyrillic and I would forget to switch back to "us" mapping. Then screen saver would turn on and I would try to log in. Unfortunately, my keyboard mapping is in Cyrillic at that moment and password has to be typed in "us" mapping. In FC4 and FC3 I would just hit my magic keyboard combination and I would go back to "us" mapping. But this is not an option anymore in keyboard settings. It is a bit annoying to get locked out of the system when screen saver turns on.

Igor