Question regarding bcm43xx driver in FC5 kernels...

Mike Leahy mgleahy at golden.net
Tue Feb 7 20:02:30 UTC 2006

Hello List,

I've been discussing some problems I have with the bcm43xx drivers (for
wireless cards based on the Broadcom 43xx chipsets) on their users list
(bcm43xx-dev at lists.berlios.de).  As you can see from the response to my
latest message below, it appears that the bcm43xx driver being released
with the kernels is not up-to-date.  I have only been able to get my
wireless card working in FC5 by manually deleting the bcm43xx module
from the kernel, then (re)installing ndiswrapper.  As the bcm43xx is
included with every FC5 kernel update, I have to do this procedure
pretty frequently, since I'm generally keeping up with the development
updates.

Larry Finger's reply below suggests that maybe if the latest bcm43xx
source were used, this wouldn't be an issue.  Is this something that
will likely be taken care of in the near future? I think it wouldn't be
a bad thing if this was updated, as there are plenty of people out there
with bcm43xx wireless cards on laptops. If it works out of the box, then
I imagine it will be much easier for laptop users that are dependant on
wireless capability (e.g., myself) to start using FC5 when it is finally
released. I did try to compile the driver myself from the latest source,
but the combination of my lack of experience with the need to reboot
into Windows in order to search/discuss issues lead me to give up on it
after a couple days.

Mike