CDs mount to volume name

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Feb 8 07:05:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 08:36 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> alan wrote:
> > The gnome-volume-manager now mounts cds to "/media/{volume_name}", instead
> > of "/media/cdrecorder".
>
> It happens, I think, with all filesystems on all mountable devices, and
> I think it's not actually gnome-volume-manager but something in hotplug
> or one of its allies. Happens on SUSE 10 too.
>
> For me, the entire idea of autmounting things is broken. For example
> 1. I insert a CD-RW to reuse. Do I want it mounted?
> 2. I plug in a USB2 drive. Do I want its five or ten partitions mounted?
> Probably not, more likely one.
> 3. I'm working at a virtual console (I have twelve defind, sometimes use
> more, and also use screen). Do I want anything mounted and opened at the
> desktop? Probably not. Working through a stack of CDs is a pain. I used
> to do things like this:
> mount /mnt/cdrom && ls -l /mnt/cdrom; eject /mnt/cdrom
>
> Hint: read the instructions for preparing for a network install of FC &
> RHEL.
>
> Now the wretched things are likely to get opened on the desktop. Worse,
> I've had ISOs get opened when mounted too.

Yeah, but at least they got mounted to a consistent place. Now they get
mounted to the name of the volume.  What happens when you have multiple
volumes of the same name?  What happens when you have older installers
that expect something like /mnt/cdrom or /media/cdrecorder for each of
many discs.

This is going to cause a lot of grief.