CDs mount to volume name

William Shotts bshotts at panix.com
Wed Feb 8 14:42:07 UTC 2006

I'm confused.

I have noticed two things on my test system that seem contrary to what
some people are saying:

1. When I insert any kind of removable media (USB disks, USB DVD
writers, USB memory card readers), I always get /media/disk
or /media/disk-n as the mount point.  Nautilus displays the volume label
on the desktop but the mount point is not reflective of either the
device type nor the volume label.

2. The /etc/fstab file is never updated with any additional mount
points.

Is this unexpected behavior?

Further, wouldn't proper FHS conformance suggest that the mount point
name reflect the device type (i.e. /media/cdburner) rather than the
volume name?