Question regarding bcm43xx driver in FC5 kernels...

Mike Leahy mgleahy at golden.net
Wed Feb 8 17:54:29 UTC 2006

Dave/List,

I just updated to the latest FC5 kernel as of last night (#1914).  I
still have the same problem as I did for all previous copies of the
bcm43xx driver that comes with the kernel.  That is, during the boot I
get errors saying something like "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or
directory", and when I try to scan for access points using iwlist, I get
a message for the wireless device saying that the hardware doesn't
support scanning.  If it adds any insight to my problem, I'm trying to
use this with a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card, which has a Broadcom 4306
rev 2 chipset.

I may make another attempt at manually compiling the driver from source,
but I don't think I'll have the time to do so for at least a week or
two.  So, I guess for now I'll just stick to removing
bcm43xx/reinstalling ndiswrapper for any kernel updates.

Mike

------------------------------

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 03:02:30PM -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
 > Hello List,
 >
 > I've been discussing some problems I have with the bcm43xx drivers (for
 > wireless cards based on the Broadcom 43xx chipsets) on their users list
 > (bcm43xx-dev at lists.berlios.de).  As you can see from the response to my
 > latest message below, it appears that the bcm43xx driver being released
 > with the kernels is not up-to-date.  I have only been able to get my
 > wireless card working in FC5 by manually deleting the bcm43xx module
 > from the kernel, then (re)installing ndiswrapper.  As the bcm43xx is
 > included with every FC5 kernel update, I have to do this procedure
 > pretty frequently, since I'm generally keeping up with the development
 > updates.

You didn't mention which kernel you were running.  There was an update
yesterday which should bring us up to date again.   It's lagged a little
over the last few weeks whilst Dave Woodhouse (who has been taking care
of syncing this with upstream) was attending LCA.

ah the joys of out-of-tree drivers.

		Dave