CDs mount to volume name

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 8 22:49:02 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 2/8/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
>>In the first case, the volume name is at the mercy of the software
>>vendor. In the scond, it is at the mercy of the individual
>>administrator. Either of whom may have given little or no thought to
>>using volume names in this way.
>>
>>Have the developers considered that this feature may break programs
>>that routinely mount DVDs, such as Bacula?
>

> Why the hell would an adminstrator rely on "desktop" automount
> functionality for amanda virtual tapes?

Who said they would? _I_ said I have problems working at the console,
with stuff getting mounted and then opened in the desktop (which might
not be mine).

I don't see that software would be different; yast (in SUSE) and apt-get
(Debian) both do CD mounts. I've not had a problem on SUSE with CDs
(yet), but on SUSE the mount-point for CDs is stable (tho there are way
too many symlinks interfering with tab-completion).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait