CDs mount to volume name

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 8 23:03:37 UTC 2006

Karsten Fischer wrote:

>>Except when you want to use command line. The GUI (Nautilus) worked
>>pretty good for normal users (displaying the volume name under the icon)
>>previously without the need for such mount point names.
>>
>>--
>>Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com>
>>

> Well put. But then, how about having both? Lets say there would exist a
> subdirectory within '/media' called devices, in which all devices have
> their proper names? On the other hand, it might be a bit complicated,
> granted.
> I really don't get your point - why shouldn't I use something like
> 'ls /media/Doom_for_Linux' instead of 'ls /media/cdrom'? If somebody

How does it make your life better? If you're working in a GUI, how does
it matter what the mount-point is? In OS X it does not. In Windows it
does noe.

It matters a lot when working at the commandline.   In an earlier post I
described how I look at CDs from the commandline. I just looked at my
laptop: it has a SUSE CD in it, called "SU1000.004." I like to use one
commandline comprising several commands to mount, view, umount and eject.

Can't do that if the mount-point keeps changing.

> does create an application which is shipped on CD why should the
> aforementioned installer fail (like posted in the post earlier)? This
> behaviour is completely consistent with Fedora's boot-process (ahem,
> within grub, of course), where, instead of an device like '/dev/sda' the
> root-device is identified using its label, adding a lot of flexibility
> (or, could add, since grub itself needs its own device-map, hope it can
> get rid of it :)

Not Debian, not SUSE use the ext2 filesystem labels. _I_ found them
causing problems for me when I cloned a disk:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
or similar; I found the wrong one being mounted.

Try duel-booting two Fedora Cores and/or RHELs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait