CDs mount to volume name

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Feb 8 23:19:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, John Summerfied wrote:

> dragoran wrote:
>

> > what about adding a symlink from /media/cdrom to /media/volumename ?
> > wouldn't break old apps, and thus ho preffer the new behaviour can use it.
> >

> What problem does the new behaviour solve?

None that I can see. Nautilus already puts desciptive text on the icon
that a gui user would use.  A command line user will use tab completion
and trial and error to figure out where the data is at.  Legacy programs
understand a fixed point in the filesystem.

Except this symlink would need to be added by the automounter code, as it
will have to be created and destroyed by mounts and unmounts.

The problem here is not gui v.s. command line.  The problem is user v.s.
program.

A user can figure out (hopefully) where the drive mounted.  A program is
going to have to have some sort of defined method to find out where the
cdrom is at.  (Not to mention the security implications of trusting a
symlink as a mounted drive.  Any sane program would not open a symlink for
any removable media.)

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."