CDs mount to volume name

Karsten Fischer kfischer at bfki.net
Thu Feb 9 00:01:12 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2006, 18:48 -0500 schrieb John Pearson:
> On Wednesday 08 February 2006 5:52 pm, John Summerfied wrote:

> > > Your point is well taken.  I will have to check, but is controlling the
> > > volume name, i.e. 'cdrom', sufficient to guarantee a known mount?
> >
> > No.
> > It does not happen that way, with CDs or DVDs, on FC3 or RHEL 4, and
> > RHEL 4 and before will be here for years to come. Heck, RHL 7.3 is still
> > around (and supported by Fedora Legacy).
>
> My base personal machine is running FC4; but it was originally built, 3 sets
> of hardware ago, with RH 7.3.  The combination dvd player/cdrecorder has
> always mounted as /media/cdrecorder.  The base server machine is running FC3,
> although the initial deployment was with RH 6.2.  The cdrom drive on that
> machine has been a constant /media/cdrom, since the hardware upgrade that
> obsoleted 6.2.  So maybe I am missing something.

Well, I do have a very volatile computer-setup. Most, except one,
CD/DVD-Drives - and I do have 4-5-  as well as several hard-disks are
either USB2 or FireWire-Devices. Depending on the use, plug-in some of
these and I am more than happy that I can use their Labels instead of
figuring out which device was assigned to a one of them. You have to try
that one and I promise you will understand my point of view in that
area :)

--
Karsten Fischer