CDs mount to volume name

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 03:31:19 UTC 2006

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:27:46AM +0100, Karsten Fischer wrote:
>
>>I really don't get your point -
>>why shouldn't I use something like 'ls /media/Doom_for_Linux'
>>instead of 'ls /media/cdrom'?
>

> First of all this will be
>
>   ls /media/Doom\ 4\ for\ Linux\ Disk\ 2\ of\ 2
>
> which is entirely different kettle of fish.  The second - when you
> will write a script which is automatically and reliably guessing
> a name of your latest mount point, and quoting it properly, then let
> us know.  Many will be interested.

It should be interesting to see how well various arbitrary strings
that might have been used as a volume name are handled, strings like
"Project backups/updates", "gemini:/var/log", "..", or "../usr".

Personally, I already have to deal with different systems and OS
releases that pick different mount points for my removable media,
and as long as I can still use commands like "umount /dev/hdc" and
"eject /dev/cdrom1" I don't see the issue affecting me all that
much.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.