CDs mount to volume name

dragoran dragoran at feuerpokemon.de
Thu Feb 9 10:21:23 UTC 2006

alan wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, John Summerfied wrote:
>

>>dragoran wrote:
>>

>>>what about adding a symlink from /media/cdrom to /media/volumename ?
>>>wouldn't break old apps, and thus ho preffer the new behaviour can use it.
>>>

>>What problem does the new behaviour solve?
>>

>None that I can see. Nautilus already puts desciptive text on the icon
>that a gui user would use.  A command line user will use tab completion
>and trial and error to figure out where the data is at.  Legacy programs
>understand a fixed point in the filesystem.
>
>Except this symlink would need to be added by the automounter code, as it
>will have to be created and destroyed by mounts and unmounts.
>
>The problem here is not gui v.s. command line.  The problem is user v.s.
>program.
>
>A user can figure out (hopefully) where the drive mounted.  A program is
>going to have to have some sort of defined method to find out where the
>cdrom is at.  (Not to mention the security implications of trusting a
>symlink as a mounted drive.  Any sane program would not open a symlink for
>any removable media.)

then use the old mount points and add a link /media/volume -> /media/cdromX
Those how prefer /media/volume would not care if it is a symlink or not.
A desktop user would either click on the desktop icon or on the icon in
computer:/// so they don't have to care about mount points anyway.
So where is the point in having /media/volume ? It makes more problems
than it solves (if any)