CDs mount to volume name

Karsten Fischer kfischer at bfki.net
Fri Feb 10 09:35:35 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 09.02.2006, 10:46 -0600 schrieb Chris Adams:

> As others have pointed out, volume labels are not unique.  However,
> device names are unique; use them for mount points and let software that
> cares about labels sort out how to present them.

But then, the device names are not used for mount points. Whenever I use
'cat /proc/devices' I do not see something like 'cdrecorder' in it. If I
use 'hal-devices', it gets even more cryptical. Could somebody give me a
clue, since I think the mountpoint /media/cdrecorder had been
arbitrarily chosen by somebody and could easily be named something
like /media/place-to-burn-cd-rom?