CDs mount to volume name

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 10 12:45:06 UTC 2006

Karsten Fischer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 09.02.2006, 07:10 +0800 schrieb John Summerfied:
>

>>Because OS X isn't Linux and different rules apply. On OS X, I do things
>>the OS X way.
>>

> That doesn't explain a lot, now does it? Things do evolve, and sometimes

My point is the irrelevance of OS X in this instance. Apple has set its
own standards for its own variant of Unix.

> a change like this could make working with a computer a lot easier for
> those who have to work with but neither have the time nor the motivation
> to explore a computers internals. And how should I explain it to a
> customer: "Yes, of course you see the the CD-ROM and its content on your
> desktop, and yes, the CD has a descriptive name (label) like "Tax2005",
> and no, you won't find it within your Filesystem , you have to guess its
> device..."

Who cares about its device name?
What desktop user cares about the mount point, unless to type at it? If
you choose the volume from an icon or menu, its mount-point is
irrelevant. OTOH if you're going to type its name, that name becomes
quite important.

--

Cheers
John