FC5T2 cannot login apparently due to udev problem

fedora-list at daniellink.org fedora-list at daniellink.org
Sat Feb 11 19:46:57 UTC 2006

I cannot login to my FC5T2 system after updating packages. All I did was:

1. Install FC5T2 (i366, from DVD)

2. Boot, login via X and start updating packages using pup (I guess that’s
what it’s called, the system updater from the menu)

3. Left that process alone because there was a lot of packages to download

4. Came back to the machine to notice that the screensaver was active (with
the “f” bubbles) and there was no way to interrupt it or log on to a virtual
terminal

5. Reboot with lots of messages to the effect that udev doesn’t know how to
make tty and lots of other devices

Now I cannot login via X, virtual terminal or remotely via ssh. (The system
does get to the login prompt.)

Is there a way to fix this in rescue mode using the DVD?

Thanks!