Stabe vs. Release vs Devel Was: KDE update - no testing period?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Tue Feb 14 14:34:11 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> D Canfield wrote:
>
>>   Why not take the debian methodology to the extreme and just have a
>> testing and core repository with no releases?   There's no interest
>> in getting or keeping any end users, right?
>
> Avoid rhetoric since it doesnt help at all.

It frustrates me that you dodged this question as "rhetoric" when it is
actually the question that has bothered me the most.

If there are no rules or policies regarding API/ABI/Version
Number/Whatever stability in the releases, then really what *is* the
point of a release?  As the policies stand right now, there is nothing
preventing all of the FC4 packages being pushed into the FC3 tree.
Instinctively that sounds ridiculous, but given the package churn in FC4
of even major components like KDE, we're getting closer and closer to
that.

So again I ask what the point is of a release?  What makes FC3 and FC4
different?  Why not just have a development tree where things are
developed and tested, and a stable tree where packages are then merged
once people are happy with them?  Then just make sure the whole thing
can be installed from scratch once every 3 months and stop wasting
resources on release management, updating multiple releases, fedora
legacy, etc.   It seems to me that it would be much less confusing than
the current non-policies for releases.

DC