Problems with KDE and usb drive automounting

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:32:38 UTC 2006

On 2/14/06, Fabio Comolli <fabio.comolli at gmail.com> wrote:
> I debugged udev and it seems it's not its fault: device nodes are
> created correctly; however the /media directory is always empty. HAL
> is installed and running.

I don't know what KDE in rawhide is configured to use in terms of dbus
related automounting... but the fact that fstab is empty is expected.
fstab-sync is gone and is being replaced with "pure" dbus/hal methods
which both desktop should be taking advantage of in their own way.  I
do not know the kde equivalent of gnome-volume-manager but I'm sure it
exists, other distributions use kde with "pmount" based on hal/dbus
interaction.

I will say that I'm not surprised that you are having problems with
this in  rawhide KDE.. I'm having similar problems with GNOME at the
moment.  Devices are only being correctly seen by natilus and the
automounter if they are plugged in before login to the desktop.  Even
odder is if they are unplugged, nautilus continues to list them AND
the listing and mountpoint will get reused by another usb device even
though the listing and mountpoint are volume-label specific and should
NOT be re-used by a different storage device with a different volume
label.

-jef