DNS resolving problems

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 19:02:15 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 19:22, Stelian Iancu <stelian.iancu at gmx.net> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  First of all, I am not sure this is a problem with rawhide, or it's
>  present in FC4 as well, but since I am now running rawhide and I am
>  experiencing this issue, I'll post it to this list.
>
>  So, to the problem: DNS resolving of any kind takes ages. I've tried
>  with the local DNS server of my router and with external ones, and the
>  result is the same. There are no problems whatsoever with the internet
>  connection, as it works really well after the initial resolving of the
>  IP address.
>
>  So any ideas about how can I solve this issue?
>
>  Many thanks!
>
>  With regards,
>  Stelian Iancu

Hi Stelian -

We'd need some more details to be able to advise :

1. How is your resolver set up ?

  Are you using only /etc/resolv.conf and the glibc resolver,
  or are you running a local caching-nameserver (named) ?
  Are you using NetworkManager ?
  Are you using nscd ?
  What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf 'hosts:' line say ?

2. Please quantify the problem - send us the /tmp/tcpdump.dns.log created by:
  # tcpdump -vvv -ttt -nl -s 8192 -i any port domain >/tmp/tcpdump.dns.log 2>&1 &
  # host a.name.that.takes.a.long.time.to.resolve
  # pkill tcpdump

NOTE: previous response to this issue:
  On Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:53, John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
>  Is the code waiting for timeout of non-existent IP6 routing?
>  If so, then disable IP6.
  This problem has been fixed for a long time in BIND, and should not be
  a problem with glibc resolver - do you have any resolv.conf options settings ?

Thanks & Regards,
Jason Vas Dias
BIND package maintainer
Red Hat Inc.