ntpd fails on boot

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Wed Feb 15 20:39:55 UTC 2006

2006-02-15 Truls Gulbrandsen <trulsg at broadpark.no> wrote

> Hi,
> I was wondering if there is a wrong sequence regarding ntpd when booting.
>
> I have noticed that first ntpd tries to sync with server (fails) and
> thereafter starts the ntpd service (success).

When starting up, ntpd uses 'ntpdate' with the content of
/etc/ntp/step-tickers as parameter(s)
The default here is a few pool*.ntp.org lines, and I have several times
noticed that this makes the syncing extremely slow - and sometimes
failing.
If I sync with just one or two local ntp-servers the startup is a _lot_
faster.

ntpd however runs as a daemon, and will start even without being able to
connect to any servers, as it will just try to resync the clock as soon
as one or more servers are available.

So try to change your step-tickers so it just contains IE. ntp.uio.no
(as you are here in Norwaym that one is quite reliable - your ISP might
have another timeserver available, just add that one as well to get som
redundancy).  Hopefully this will help.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen