DNS resolving problems

Patrick von der Hagen patrick at wudika.de
Thu Feb 16 06:34:52 UTC 2006

Jason Vas Dias wrote:
[...]
> NetworkManager(NM) is meant to use named in caching-nameserver mode,
> and to write ONLY the line:
> 'nameserver 127.0.0.1
> '
> to /etc/resolv.conf .
>
> It appears that this aspect of NM is not working correctly at the moment -
> the NM maintainer has been informed and is working on a solution.
I used NM once, didn't like it and never touched it again. Didn't do
anything to explicitly disable it, though.

Neither named nor NetworkManager is started, as far as I can tell.

[root at localhost ~]# ls /etc/rc*/*name*
/etc/rc0.d/K87named  /etc/rc1.d/K87named  /etc/rc2.d/K87named
/etc/rc3.d/K87named  /etc/rc4.d/K87named  /etc/rc5.d/K87named
/etc/rc6.d/K87named
[root at localhost ~]# ls /etc/rc*/*Mana*
/etc/rc0.d/K02NetworkManager
/etc/rc2.d/K02NetworkManagerDispatcher  /etc/rc5.d/K02NetworkManager
/etc/rc0.d/K02NetworkManagerDispatcher  /etc/rc3.d/K02NetworkManager
         /etc/rc5.d/K02NetworkManagerDispatcher
/etc/rc1.d/K02NetworkManager
/etc/rc3.d/K02NetworkManagerDispatcher  /etc/rc6.d/K02NetworkManager
/etc/rc1.d/K02NetworkManagerDispatcher  /etc/rc4.d/K02NetworkManager
         /etc/rc6.d/K02NetworkManagerDispatcher
/etc/rc2.d/K02NetworkManager
/etc/rc4.d/K02NetworkManagerDispatcher
[root at localhost ~]#

system-config-network tells me that dns-information is to be gathered by
DHCP. However, I deleted /etc/resolv.conf, restarted and got a new
resolv.conf containg:
[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search localdomain
[root at localhost ~]#

So those IPs I mentioned earlier would be perfectly valid, I can find
them in /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases, so DHCP seems to
correctly distribute DNS-information, but Rawhide ignores that
information and doesn't update my resolv.conf, although
system-config-network indicates that this should happen....

a) I'm tired
b) Good Night
c) will investigate tomorrow
--