Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:21:10 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> One (horrible) argument is that the update software (pup) asks you to
> reboot when you install new kernels.

So now all package management software across all distributions has to
have an exhaustive list of packages that might need a full reboot to
operate correctly? That's a lot to ask for methinks. Especially when
there is no explicit way to mark a package at the packaging level in
either debs or rpms afaik to hint that a reboot might be needed for
correct operation.  Certaintly kernels arent the only things that
require a reboot for correct operation after update. Doesn't udev
require this as well because its started from initrd? Do selinux
policy updates need a reboot for correct operation?  This leads
directly to the path of "always reboot after applying any updates"
just to be safe.

Please tell me the shutdown option is still at the gdm login screen on
your system at least.

I guess i get shutdown in my menu still because i dont have suspend
available on this desktop...  thank goodness for small miracles.

-jef