Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 16 11:57:48 UTC 2006

Stanton Finley wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 23:21 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Stanton Finley wrote:
>>> On my system (HP Pavilion ZE2108WM Notebook) the battery symbol is no
>>> longer even visible. I can still see the power cord symbol though. The
>>> menu option "Computer sleep type:" is blank with no options.
>>>
>>> Stanton Finley
>>> http://stanton-finley.net/
>>>
>> That is all I noticed. As Jeremy suggested about HAL possibly crashing,
>> I checked services and noticed haldaemon was checked but was not running.
>>
>> I started haldaemon and checked the properties again on the applet and
>> the choices were again available to customize selections for actions.
>>
>> I guess a relabeling of my system is in order. I already have the latest
>> updates.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> My HAL daemon was not running and in fact would not start until I
> changed the SELinux policy from enforcing to permissive. Then upon
> reboot HAL started, the battery symbol came back and the power
> management options became visible in the Gnome Power Manager GUI.
>
> BTW I notice that the system-config-securitylevel GUI no longer has a
> check box option for "relabel on next boot" as it had in FC4. Why is
> this and could you please remind me what the command to do so is?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stanton Finley
> http://stanton-finley.net/

touch /.autorelabel
reboot

Also, you could show the grub menu, press 'a' for append, add
autorelabel on the kernel options line.

Personally, I reboot into runlevel 1 with selinux=0, run 'fixfiles
relabel' and the system relabels. The system also goes into relabel on
any boot from no selinux to SELinux active. I believe touch
/.autorelabel followed by a reboot is all that is needed. (As root of
course.

Breaking to the removal of the shutdown command from the menu, I guess
filing this issue upstream is best. What do I do with the power button
on my panel? - :-)

After relabeling my system, haldaemon started up correctly and the menus
for configuring g-p-manager showed up in a functional way.

Jim