Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 16:06:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:49:40AM -0500, Ray Strode wrote:

 > This was an experiment proposed by Seth, that will probably be reverted.
 >
 > For those interested, I think the rationale was something like "TVs
 > don't ever power off, they just suspend and no one notices, if we can
 > make it transparent to the user then it will be better for them because
 > they won't have to wait for a long reboot and deal with the session
 > reloading" etc...

Bah, silly HCI people.  I don't know about Seth's TV, but I never
have to apply updates for my TV, or reboot it all.
It's pretty much a one-way street.

The one thing that does get updates, is the cable box.
Though the 'standby' mode there doesn't actually do anything.
(I've actually measured, it saves no power being in standby mode
 on the unit I have), so it's still fully functional.

 > For now, I think we should just add the menu back.

I agree!

		Dave