Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 02:11:40 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/16/06, David D. Hagood <wowbagger at sktc.net> wrote:
> > Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver?
> > gnome-screensaver does not do DPMS, so my monitor stays on all the time
> > boiling the cathodes away. gnome-screensaver doesn't have the eyecandy
> > that xscreensaver has. In short, it seems a far less capable replacement.
> I think gnome-screensaver's upstream webpages explain the long term advantages
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeScreensaver
> is xscreensaver using dbus controls?
> does xscreenssaver allow switching users from the locked dialog?
> does xscreensaver allow for system level mandatory policy definitions
> with regard to how it can be configured?
>
> You might not understand, in the short-term, the long-term benefits to
> moving to a solution which allows these things.. but they are much
> more useful features than being able to run arbitrary eyecandy...
> especially on multi-user systems/networks.
>
> DPMS is being handled by gnome-power-manager
> assuming you have all the updates applied
> Desktop->Preferences->More Preferences->Power Management
> or right click on the power management icon in the panel if its visible

Hmm.  I haven't noticed xscreensaver being replaced by
gnome-screensaver.  I still have xscreensaver running with the
Rawhide updates of today.  However, the 3D screensavers
seem broken right now.  Hmm.

With xscreensaver, the gnome-power-manager popups are being
displayed on top of the screensaver display.  The seems like a bug.
Will this be prevented with gnome-screensaver?

Will the screensavers in xscreensaver be ported to gnome-screensaver?
The selection in gnome-screensaver is pretty lame.  There are several
specific screensavers I would like to see retained:
     vermiculate
     VidWhacker
     SuperQuadratics
     Substrate