Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 02:38:31 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

Removed parts where Jeff points out
http://wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

> just because it has gnome in the name means its gnome specific? Did
> you read the page i reference... the goal is to build a desktop
> neutral approach so each desktop can integrate screensaver control
> into its UI in a way that makes sense for that desktop environment.
> Would you feel better if it were named freedesktop.org-screensaver?
>
> -jef

I would say yes.. that would be the best bet for many of these neutral
items. The word GNOME and KDE have become very heavy in the brain of a
lot of people. The 'marketing' of the words puts people into
For/Against camps which makes it hard to figure out when something is
not another marketing win for one side or the other.

I figure that this article kind of shows what might be happening.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060131092225.htm

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator