Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:25:17 UTC 2006

tor, 16 02 2006 kl. 22:56 -0500, skrev Jeff Spaleta:

> The same sort of thing happens at the application level. I've seen
> complaints about the "evolution-data-server" package being installed
> even though "evolution" isn't.

Sometimes KDE users are a bit antsy when it comes to non-KDE packages on
their system. I don't generally complain because I have QT and arts
installed on my default GNOME system, I mean sure they take up space and
I don't need them in my daily life - but it's a binary upgrade - I
suffer no illeffects from having them installed, instead it enables me
to easily get KDE/QT programs running on my machine.

Dependencies are normally not installed just for kicks. If the biggest
complaint about Fedora for anyone is a few unwanted dependencies they
should praise themselves lucky, their system works so well they have
time to spare to spot such things that don't apply on their specific
system.

- David

--
Obligatory shameless blog plug - the GNOME commentary located at:
www.lovesunix.net/blog