Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 18:01:13 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/17/06, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A problem I have with gnome-screensaver is that I cannot configure the
> > xscreensaver savers.
>
> This is a delibrate choice made in how the screensavers are presented
> as .desktop files. The explanation for this decision is made in he
> upstream FAQ: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeScreensaver_2fFrequentlyAskedQuestions

Thanks Jeff.

A quote from that page:
----------
Why doesn't the screensaver preferences tool allow me to change the
settings for the theme?
We are trying to take a different approach. We would prefer for the
themes to simply work. [...]
There are a few reasons for this approach. One of them is to simplify
the UI and make it easier for the user. Another reason is so that
system administrators can more easily control (or lock down) the
settings.

Personally, I think the Gnome developers' know-it-all attitude is
stupid and offensive.  Dang it!  They take their bloody "present no
options to the users" too far!  Idiots!

I keep wanting Gnome to be great, but this Ximian attitude and design
approach keeps fouling the desktop experience.  ARGH!  They are
_breaking_ screensavers.

       Miles