Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 18:22:38 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I think the Gnome developers' know-it-all attitude is
> stupid and offensive.  Dang it!  They take their bloody "present no
> options to the users" too far!  Idiots!

Blatant name calling doesn't make for a constructive debate.
I humbly suggest you make an effort to remove the emtionally loaded
language when you are trying to make a point. If you want to drag this
discussion down into the realm of overly generalized name-calling to a
community of people, I'll be more than happy to do this with you in
private conversation.

Choosing to use this sort of emtional outburt in a public discussion
is not helpful and only points out that you are also capable of "going
to far" with your overreaching assumption making. I'm not fond of
blatant hypocrisy, so please try to keep your over-reaching assumption
making about the entire gnome development community out of this
discussion.

If you have a problem with the decision making, read up on previous
discussion about gnome-screesaver and make rational arguments to the
upstream developers.  There maybe a way forward to change how this
works by incorporated per-user configs into GConf for individual
screensavers and still have site wide policy without disrupting UI.
But you'll have to care enough about the issue to keep your emtions in
check and handle yourself maturely in the discussion. Calling the
people you are trying to convince to change their minds idiots has a
particularly low probability of success especially if you don't have
an established working relationship with them as peers.

-jef