HAL problems with floppy drives

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 18:06:13 UTC 2006

On 2/19/06, William Shotts <bshotts at panix.com> wrote:
> I notice also that if the volume is present at boot time, it is given a
> different mount point name (some variation on "disk") than when it is
> hot-plugged (volume name).  While this volume name/mount point issue has
> been discussed extensively on this list, there are a few things I would
> like to say about it.

Something is definitely odd about the boot-time versus post-boottime
behavior which needs to be addressed.  I can't see a good argument for
a difference in behavior like that.  That would explain why I dont see
the volumename mounts that other people are complaining about.  The
whole point of using the volumename is sort of defeated if its not
consistently applied with regard to when in time the device is present
on the system.

This is most definitely a filable if no one has filed it yet.

-jef"and it looks to me that there is plans afoot to provide a way for
users to override the volumename scheme on a per-user basis, look at
the ui tool gnome-mount-properties for a glimpse at what is to
come"spaleta