todays rawhide - feedback

dragoran dragoran at feuerpokemon.de
Mon Feb 20 06:54:35 UTC 2006

Antonio Olivares wrote:

>--- Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 08:33 -0500, Jim Cornette
>>wrote:

>>issues: 1) why is

>>this is a desktop

>>your computer is capable

>>choices. A lot of comments

>>>Thanks! I thought that upstream GNOME decided on
>>>

>>this approach. Either
>>

>>>way, limiting the ability to reboot/shutdown is
>>>

>>not practical for many
>>

>>>reasons.
>>>

>>Yeah, for example on a system that doesn't suspend
>>properly, but all
>>you're offered is the opportunity to suspend.
>>
>>Once FC5t3 is out I'm going to do some serious
>>looking into why my very
>>recent Dell Inspiron 9300 doesn't suspend (or
>>hibernate), but even so, I
>>still need some way of shutting down the system, and
>>getting it to start
>>again (without having to reboot using the on/off key
>>after suspending)
>>

>Become super user
>$ su -
>psswd: ******
># shutdown -h now
>and/or
># poweroff

I know that there are other ways to shutdown / reboot the system.
But I don't see any reason to remove it from the menu, even upstream
does not do it. Don't tell me that having a shutdown/reboot button will
confuse users, its the opposite.
Maybe we even will get bugreports like this :"updated to fc5 and
shutdown button dissapperd" or something like that