Epson scanner works in FC4, not in FC5T3 (or T2)

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 21 03:07:17 UTC 2006

The Epson 4490 Photo flatbed scanner is supported by the most recent
version of  iscan from http://www.avasys.jp/english/index_e.html.

[gerry at gstpc-fc4 ~]$ rpm -q iscan
iscan-1.18.0-1.c2

The scanner works in both iscan and xsane in FC4, but will not work in
FC5T3 with the same setup.  It did not work in FC5T2 either, but since
T3 was just about to be released, I waited until I could install FC5T3
before further testing.

I know that epkowa.conf is the proper config file because the scanner
does not work in FC4 if I rename this file.  As shown below, the files
are the same.

[gerry at fc5t3 sane.d]$ diff epkowa.conf /mnt/fc4/etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
[gerry at fc5t3 sane.d]$

If I do:

[root at fc5t3 ~]# sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0119 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:007:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

then

[root at fc5t3 ~]# chmod 0666 /proc/bus/usb/007/002

[gerry at fc5t3 sane.d]$ xsane &
results in "no devices available."

[gerry at fc5t3 sane.d]$ iscan &
results in "Could not send command to scanner.  Check the scanner's
status."

After the above steps, the scanner works great in FC4.

Filed as bugzilla #182210.

Gerry