BitTorrent ports?

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 09:05:07 UTC 2006

2006/2/20, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au>:
> glenn wrote:
> > Havard Rast Blok wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm new to the Fedora Test List, so I thought a brief introduction would
> >> be appropriate: I'm a European software developer and tester currently
> >> working in the QA department of Altova (the XMLSpy company). I've been
> >> using
> >> Linux since about Red Hat 5.x and made the switch completely a year
> >> before
> >> WinXP. My current pet projects include rememberjava.com and
> >> jbookmarks.sf.net.
> >>
> >> What I wanted to ask you guys about, is BitTorrent, which should be
> >> relevant given that Test 3 is now out:
> >> http://torrent.fedoraproject.org
> >>
> >> The question: Which ports should I open to run BT efficiently (and
> >> securely)?
> >>
> >> My current firewall is rather tight, with as few ports as possibly open,
> >> including the range 6881:6999 TCP source and destination ports, plus
> >> 33301:34999 on TCP source (not sure if I need those). However, I still
> >> get
> >> loads of junk in my /var/log/message from my iptables setup whenever I
> >> run
> >> BT. Also, the up and down speeds are rather unimpressive; both about
> >> 10-20
> >> KB/s (I'm on a 3 Mb/s cable modem line). Should I open more ports? Should
> The cable speed is really a peak speed capability while communicating
> with a local / fast mirror. Once connections are going all over the
> place (peer2peer) this speed probably wont be achievable.
>
> I find azureus bittorent client to suit my needs. It includes things like:
> . firewall test
> . statistics and graphs on in/out throughput
> . azureus wide and per torrent upload and download rate limits
> . total and per torrent no of connection limits
> all in a nice GUI.
> It is common to find is that the outbound data will be flooding your
> internet connection, making it difficult for download ack packets to
> make it out your connection (so the peer sending you data doesn't
> continue until your ack gets through).
>
> Limit upload rate to about half your upload bandwidth, and download to
> 90% (if adsl 512 then rate capability is 400kb/sec, *.9 =360).
>
> Also, a lot of home routers have trouble because of the nature of their
> inbuilt firewalls tracking connection states. They have a table of a
> fixed size, and once the table is full, they have to drop/stop
> connections to keep operating. Indeed, some router only last a few days
> or hours once peer2peer clients are operating within the network.
>
> So the other helpful thing to do is limit the number of connections
> total to a smaller number.
>
> I find both of these things improve bittorrent and gnutella peer2peer
> speeds. It does seem weird that limiting your bandwidth can increase the
> achievable speed (it's sort of QOS).

its not wierd at all. same issue  for dsl users. i just found that
limiting upstream to 90% of the maximum is enough to get lots of more
downstream on the bittorrent isos.
dont forget one side effect... the more people cap their upstream the
slower the download for all will be aswell ;). freeloaders just hog
the net with no benefit for anyone.

that said... keep on seeding... ;)

regards,
Rudolf Kastl