Problem with grub in FC5 Test 2

Vicki Stanfield vicki at stanfield.net
Wed Feb 22 02:48:39 UTC 2006

I am having a problem with a new install of FC5 Test 2. The error appears to
be grub not being able to find the root device. There is only one ide drive in
the system with /dev/hda1 as the boot partition and /dev/hda2 as a LVM
(VolGroup00/LogVol00). The error I am getting is:

VFS: Cannot open root device "VolGroup00/LogVol00" or unknown_block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on
unknown_block(0,0)

I tried the usual grub commands at the prompt, but nothing seems to be
working. I do get output when I try cat (hd0,0)/grub/stage1. However, cat
(hd0,0)/grub/menu.1st complains that it can't mount the drive. Being primarily
a slackware user (lilo), I'm a bit confused.

Vicki