Install test3 from Hard Drive

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Wed Feb 22 15:40:59 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> Eric Brunson wrote:
>> Is there a way to coerce the test3 installer to read its ISO images
>> from a filesystem on an LVM VG?
> I tried this about a month ago, but couldn't find out what would be
> needed. I understand though that the 80M rescue cd contains a much
> wider range of device and logical drivers than the boot.iso, and it
> may just be a matter of passing the correct value in the boot: prompt
> or in the hard disk method ?
I tried the rescue disk.  It too appears to have the problem that the
initial system it boots into can't read LVM, not until you choose the go
into rescue mode does it seem to activate the lvm and vgscan.

> I resorted to making some /home/install space on an ext3 drive so that
> the isos would be available; I have also got around it by mounting the
> iso's on another machine and making them available over ftp. (for dvd
> mount on eg disc, while for CD mkdirs of disc1, d2, d3, d4 etc and
> give the disc1 folder as the image location.
I guess FTP is my next best hope to avoid burning the CDs.  With the
default layout of Fedora being 100M ext3 and everything else LVM is
seems pretty obvious that the installer should need to be able to read
LVM.  I may file a feature request.