Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 02:55:49 UTC 2006

Speaking of DRI, I have an ATI 200M.  Using clean install of xorg driver, I
see this:

(WW) RADEON(0): Enabling DRM support

[...]
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
[ repeat 255 times ...]
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

I think I mentioned this here before, and IIRC someone else said they have
exactly the same result.  Is this expected behavior?

/sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                141665  0
drm                   117481  1 radeon

drm is loaded, but there are no /dev/dri/<anything>