FC5T3 hang at 'Starting udev'

Bill Soudan bill at soudan.net
Thu Feb 23 16:12:19 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Trying to install FC5T3 on my Vaio SZ140 (very newish laptop from Sony).
  The install went fine, but upon reboot, the machine hangs a few
seconds after the 'Starting udev' message.  I'm currently scouring the
internet but meanwhile, I figured it might be helpful to ask here as well.

I assume it's something related to PCMCIA.  I had also attempted to
install FC4, but FC4 would hang at the 'Starting PCMCIA' prompt.  To
actually boot the machine, I used interactive startup and answered no to
the 'Start pcmcia?' prompt.

FC4 however didn't include a driver for the laptop's ethernet port,
while FC5T3 does.  I can get to a shell prompt at least in FC5T3 by
mashing CTRL-C as soon as init starts.

Thoughts or suggestions?  I've attached the output of lspci and lspci -v
-v -v.

Thanks,
Bill