3dfx dri problems

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Fri Feb 24 09:51:56 UTC 2006

George Schneeloch wrote:
> I'm using Fedora Core 5 Test 2 on my desktop with a Voodoo 3 3000 agp
> card. /var/log/Xorg.0.log said that my 3dfx card won't work with DRI
> unless it was set to a 16-bit depth. I changed my DefaultDepth in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf to 16 and I got this message from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

We haven't provided DRI support for tdfx in Fedora Core for several OS
releases, although the tdfx_dri module may have shipped anyway.  You
need both tdfx_dri.so and Glide3.  Glide3 was removed from the OS in
FC1 or maybe even RHL 9 or so.  Don't remember exactly when it was.
I think it was available in Fedora Extras for a while, but I'm not sure
if it is still there or not.

If someone can confirm weither tdfx_dri + Glide3 still works or not,
we may be able to consider re-including the tdfx_dri.so module, however
Glide3 probably wont be returning to Fedora Core.  Having said that,
as long as there's a volunteer to maintain it still, it could
theoretically live in Extras as long as it continues to work.

Banshee and Voodoo 3 hardware only supports 3D acceleration in 16bit
depth, which is why you must use 16bit depth to get 3D.  The latter
cards support it in 24bit depth also IIRC.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.